Geology and Mining
Satellite images offer a wide variety of applications in the field of Earth Sciences, e.g. geological and geomorphological mapping, hydrogeology, mineral exploration, monitoring of mining activity, engineering geology,environmental geology, geohazards, etc. Geosciences Group, NRSC has been carrying out projects with various central ministries such as Mines, Department of Atomic Energy, Coal, Steel,Petroleum and Natural gas, Power, Drinking water and sanitation with active participation of state and regional remote sensing centers. Many application projects have been carried out for State Government organisations, PSUs and private industries such as NHPC, Reliance gas, Indian oil corporation, BCCL etc. The activities of the group can be broadly classified as geological mapping, Ground water, Mineral exploration, Geo hazards and Geo-environmental studies.
- Groundwater prospects mapping
- NGLM project
- Coal fire mapping – Coalfire mapping using airborne and satellite thermal remote sensing data helped to identify high temperature anomalous areas in Jharia and Raniganj Coalfields of India and helped in prevention of loss of precious fossil fuel.
- Operationalisation of scientific instruments - GPR and Spectroradiometer lab was established and being used for identification of subsurface structure and mineral spectroscopy, respectively. Instrumental results in conjunction with advanced multispectral hyperspectral data were used for mapping bauxite, gold, diamond limestone and chromitite in different geological provinces of India.
- Aeromagnetic survey – Aeromagnetic data forms a baseline data for mineral and oil exploration studies. These datasets were acquired by NRSC for users such as ONGC, DGH and GSI.
- Disaster management support
- Institutional collaboration –
- NRSC-GSI collaboration on landslide studies and hyperspectral data analysis
- NRSC-NHPC collaboration for geological mapping for hydroelectric projects.
- NRSC-GSI collaboration on NGLM project.
- NRSC-GSI-ITC (Netherlands) – This collaboration led to development of a methodology for automatic identification of landslides.
- ISRO-NASA microwave satellite-NISAR
- Indo-FRG collaboration on mineral exploration
- NRSC-TWAD collaboration on 3-D aquifer mapping and ground water assessment
- National delegation –
- NDMA delegation to Kathmandu after Nepal Earthquake, April 2015 consisting members from ISRO, GSI, IMD, WIHG, CWC to study the impact of earthquake.
- Contribution to NDMA in various committees on Landslides and Earthquake.
- Geodynamics - Two CORS (continuously operating receiver station) has been established in the Himalayas.
- Capacity building – Ministries / departments were trained in various subjects such as water grid alignment studies, hyperspectral and microwave data analysis, landslide and earthquake disaster mitigation studies etc.
- Total Research Publications : Nearly 40 publications in peer reviewed journals since last five years